With warm weather finally upon us, Toronto Water has been reminding residents about the things they can do to help prevent flooding, conserve water and protect their homes.
- Use rainwater to water your grass and gardens.
- Sweep sidewalks and driveways clean instead of using a running hose.
- Start planning a water-efficient, natural garden using native plants and trees.
- The dirt on cars can contain toxic chemicals, heavy metals, oil and grease. To avoid having dirty water run into the storm sewer system, consider washing your car in a commercial car wash facility (these facilities are required to follow a set of practices determined by the city, including treating wastewater and discharging it into the sanitary sewer system where it will receive further treatment).
- Clear eavestroughs and downspouts of debris.
- Disconnect downspouts that empty into the City’s sewer system.
- Don’t flush disposable wipes down the toilet.
- Install a back-water valve or basement sump pump.